Spread betting today: WorldSpreads clients get closer to compensation, IG Group director snaps up shares
Written by Gary Howes Tuesday, 03 April 2012 11:51
Comparing Spread Betting: Clients of troubled spreadbetting firm Worldspreads have moved a step closer to getting funds back through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) after administrators KPMG began sending out final statements.
Jane Moriarty, special administrator of Worldspreads and restructuring partner at KPMG, said: "While the sudden collapse of Worldspreads has understandably caused a great deal of distress for the company's clients, the issuing of all final client statements today is an important milestone in returning funds to clients.
"We will now be able to start agreeing the statements with clients. The next stage in the process will be the creditors' meeting which will be held within the next eight weeks, in line with our statutory responsibilities."
The FSCS said it would "shortly" outline the process it will use in paying out compensation, adding clients did not need to contact the organisation.
Elsewhere, Stephen Hill, a Non-Executive Director of IG Group Holdings, the FTSE 250 spread-betting firm, has purchased 111,736 shares.
Hill, who worked as the CEO of the Financial Times for Pearson between 1996 and 2002, bought the shares at 444.15p each for a total of £496,275.
The purchase comes just a fortnight after the group admitted it has experienced a significant slowdown in sales growth during the third quarter, after the previous market volatility that had helped sales in the first half was alleviated.
In the three months to February 29th, revenue increased by just 1.5% year-on-year to £75m. In the first six months of the fiscal year, net trading revenue surged 27.8% to £195.46m.
Check back soon for more spread betting market insights from Comparing Spread Betting.
Comparing Spread Betting: List of Spread Bet Companies
Click here for The List of UK Spread Betting Companies
Comparing The Best Spread Betting Companies for....
Latest on Comparing Spread Betting
- Financial Spread Betting (Short term) Economic Indicator Watch
- A Comparing Spread Betting Forex Focus: Australian dollar / New Zealand dollar exchange rate 'flapping higher'
- The Comparing Spread Betting market outlook: More rangebound trading say analysts at KBC Markets
- Comparing spread betting: EUR-USD in relief bounce higher, yesterday sees 'temporary buying and selling waves'
- Comparing spread betting today: "Abandon hope, all ye who enter the markets this morning"
Spread Betting Industry News
- Spread betting today: WorldSpreads clients get closer to compensation, IG Group director snaps up shares
- Spread betting disasters: Spreadex and the Icarus of the London property market
- Latest news on WorldSpreads: Were 'zero spreads' behind demise? Simon Cawkwell really should have seen this coming!
- WorldsSpreads: Clients should get refund, staff have lost their jobs, no sale of the client list expected
Comparing Spread Betting Feature: Spread betting company WorldSpreads fails
Keep up to date with this story on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/spreadbettingme
Comparing Spread Betting: Featured
- I only make money with the IT Finance Advanced Charts - the new IG stuff is garbage! More...
- New charts are an absolute disgrace! More...
- ^^^^ This X 100, looking for a new provider now More...
- If is very hard for a spread betting company to make just from the spread or order flow, the profit is in market making or running a book. For example if the net client base has a short view on the Do... More...
- So far I have found the new charts pretty dreadful to use. Even basic things like fitting trendlines and Fib levels can be a pain and take a number of attempts to get them positioned correctly. I use ... More...
- Claire - you are right. We have completely edited the CMC Markets list out ! We will be on to it. - Ed More...